"How many miles is tomorrow?"
"About 60."
"Awesome!"
No one on this trip would have been excited about a sixty mile day three weeks ago. After the two days we had last week: 90 miles, 90 degrees, steep mountain climbs and threats of 50 mph wind, a flat 60 is awesome. We've already come pretty far.
The physical progression is easy to assess. The mental preparedness is a constant battle. We can ride faster and with better technique, but we can't measure our ability to lead in such discrete units. I thought I'd prepared myself, and now I know how much I have to learn. Luckily, I have several hours on the bike every day to think about my progress.
We ride into Flatwoods, Kentucky tomorrow for a build day on Wednesday. Newspapers and television stations should be out to cover our group. We'll be installing a deck and vinyl siding at a Habitat for Humanity home. This is the cool part.
Great work Zach, keep it up! I saw on Facebook your group has been on the news in Chambersburg and I actually heard something on the news coming back from York, Maine last weekend about another group going from the east coast to Vancouver. I'm tracking the progress...keep pedaling and swinging that hammer.
ReplyDeleteZach,
ReplyDeleteCatherine passed on the Father's day video. A big thanks. I read the trip logs and blogs about twice a day, so keep them riding and writing.
Tracy in Baghdad
thanks for the comments ya'll
ReplyDelete