Sunday, June 20, 2010

One At a Time

[I wrote this a few days ago, but just now have an available internet connection.]

Tuesday was a challenge. Fifty miles of rolling hills and long, steep climbs. Their memories are blended, but one in particular remains. It was not only the longest and steepest, but I did it alone and repeated to myself: one more stroke, one at a time.

Does a physically challenging day match up against a stressful day at work? Yes, and I prefer the physical challenge any day. Biking across the country sounds hard, but its much better than not doing it. Oh, and we played laser tag (donation magic!) after dinner.

On that memorable climb, I also met a new friend. Fifty feet from the top, he lay in pristine condition, clearly expired but not yet decomposing, comfortably on his side. A squirrel had given up, right where I was considering doing the same. The thought of a big, smart human, losing to a tiny, stupid mammal inspired me to keep going, one at a time. Human race one, squirrels zero. Its the little things, like potential squirrel laughter, that make you remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment