Today we crossed the halfway point: 2,069 miles. The most incredible part about this where we were just over a month ago - fresh and awkward - and comparing that to where we are today. Imagining where we'll be when we hit the Pacific baffles me. I'm excited to witness it.
The halfway point seems like a fine time to do some self-evaluation. Let's start with the bad.
My communication with a few riders is poor. They're quick to assume I'm not listening, and I'm quick to get impatient. I have a tendency to dismiss questions before they're asked, only to realize later that they were valid and useful. This has alienated a few riders.
I've been too lax with some rules, and too stringent with others. I've swerved toward unfair and uneven in my enforcement. I've been indecisive, and tried to correct it through quick and hasty decisions. I've been afraid of confrontation. I've been worried about looking good and being popular among riders.
Yikes. It's not that bad, though. I think I've been a very good leader. Most importantly, everyone is still here, still healthy, and riding safely.
We've had no major issues with our group dynamics, and are performing well on the road and on build sites. We interact with hosts well and leave facilities cleaner than the way we found them.
A new skill with which I've surprised myself is a short memory for annoyance. I've been pretty good at letting the little things go and starting with a clean slate. There's still room for improvement there, as that slate tends to get more quickly dirty with a select few, but I hope they know I'm working on it.
I'm glad that I took a few minutes to do this. It wasn't easy. Yet, it's already helped my development as a leader tremendously. Now to act on areas where I've fallen short. We'll see how this matches up with the rider's evaluations of me, due tonight.
Don't be too hard on yourself kiddo...if everything was perfect, it would be boring!! Keep up the good work & make sure the next 2000+ miles are as awesome as the first!
ReplyDelete