Monday, July 5, 2010

It's About You

Some time a few days ago, I chose to stop caring that some things weren't going as well as they could have been. I chose to let some things roll off my back that had been bothering me - to let it go. Since, I've realized that's a greedy choice.

I'm not here to be pleased, to be happy, to have fun. Those will be and have been results, but my purpose is to serve the group of people on this trip. I think that everyone has something that they want, and I must allow them to get achieve that.

We've all learned a lot already. This is such an extreme situation, tossed together with 30 strangers to live for several weeks, its impossible not to grow in some simple way. Even if you're just better at talking to strangers, that's growth. We're all better at talking to strangers now then we were three weeks ago. I'd love to know how else the riders have developed, but I haven't done the research.

The power of the program is not the nails we hammer, miles we pedal, or dollars we raise. It's the ripple effect of our discussions, our red, white and blue jerseys streaking through a sleepy town in clumps of four or five all afternoon, and what we choose to do with the rest of our lives. We're educating ourselves as much as the communities we visit. I'm newly committed to giving all those on this trip what they seek from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment